Friday, July 18, 2014

Day 1 in Madrid!

On Wednesday night my two sisters and I took off to Madrid, and it has been quite the adventure ever since. Yesterday was our first day in Madrid. It was my first time flying with Euroatlantic Airways so I was a bit hesitant, but it turned out to be a great flight (minus the zero vegetarian food options available on board). 


We landed around 11:30am and then hopped on a train to our hotel. My first impression of public transit in Spain was a good one, as the train was so easy to navigate and very cheap. After getting settled in our hotel, we ventured onto the streets of Madrid. My sisters kept poking fun at me for carrying a map, but I couldn't have walked around without it! 


The streets were pretty busy, and a lot of them unmarked, so a map was essential.


We walked up to the Gran Via, by which time my ears, not legs (surprisingly), were sore from listening to the complaints of my sisters. Yes it is a steep hill, but we're in Spain, so frankly I'm not concerned about anything other than enjoying this beautiful country. 


The Gran Via was flooded with people and was full of life. We explored the many shops and cafés that it had to offer, and took many pictures on the way. I really enjoyed our walk back to the hotel however, as we chose to go down the smaller not so popular streets of Madrid that depicted Spain just as I imagined it, and were so charming and cute. 


After having an unexpected but desperately needed nap back at the hotel, we went back out and ventured the streets once again. Our first stop, gelato. Chocolate for me, of course!


After enjoying my gelato, I convinced my sisters to accompany me to check out a CrossFit gym nearby. It also happened to be right as the sun was setting, which was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen! I mean, can you imagine doing a WOD in a place like this?


I was super drained from all of travelling, so I had a coffee as soon as we were back at the hotel. We then spent the next couple of hours planning the following day in Madrid, as well as the remaining week of our trip, before hitting sheets! 

That's it for now, I will post about the next exciting day of my travels soon!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment